A Note on Links: When reading back posts, please be aware that links have a short half-life. You can find working links to all of the MHS resources on our Educator Resources Page.

Monday, November 25, 2013

Reading Strategies for Elementary Students

Elementary teachers: I was intrigued with the strategies explored in this video to get elementary students so they understand the main ideas of a text.

The first is to have them read to answer a focus question. I think this is tremendously important. Confession time here: I’m a professional historian and *my* mind wanders when I read history UNLESS I’m reading to find answers to specific questions.

The second was a strategy she calls “Keep it or Junk it,” a method that helps students identify key words and concepts in a text. Check out the video and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment