A Note on Links: When reading back posts, please be aware that links have a short half-life. You can find working links to all of the MHS resources on our Educator Resources Page.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Black Gold and a Request for Information

I’m completely fascinated by the website for Black Boom Gold: How Oil Changed North Dakota. It has stories from many perspectives, as well as a place for viewers to share their own stories.

Part of my fascination is that I have yet to see the boom firsthand. That’s going to change. I’ll be presenting an educator’s workshop in Miles City on June 21 and speaking in Sidney at the MonDak Heritage Center on June 22. And I’ll get an even better chance to explore eastern Montana and what the boom means at our history conference next fall: the 40th Annual Montana History Conference will be held in Sidney, September 19-21, 2013. The theme, appropriately, will be "Boom and Bust: Extracting the Past." Please save the date (and get your hotel reservations early at the special Montana History Conference rate.)

Eastern Montana teachers: We always host an educator workshop the first Thursday of the conference. I’m pulling together the program now. Is there anything in particular you would like to learn more about? If so, please email me: mkohl@mt.gov.

On another note entirely: A few weeks ago, I asked high school teachers to help me choose women’s history related articles, originally published in Montana The Magazine of Western History, to digitize along with discussion questions for use in the classroom. I only received one response. Please help us shape our priorities. If you would NEVER use an article from Montana in your classroom, I need to know that too (if it isn’t useful, I don’t want to devote resources to it.) So—Please take two minutes to take our short survey (which includes a box for “None of the Above.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment